There are currently no Sun Holiday departures to Portugal in 2017 but we do have a Pilgrimage and Sun Holiday taking in the Lisbon Coast & Fatima, more details, here. If you would like to be informed of future departures, please sign up to our newsletter so you'll be the first to know.
Located in the southwest of the Iberian Peninsula with a coastline more the 850 kilometres long and its Atlantic islands, it offers a varied landscape and climate ideal for every holiday type. The country is divided between North and South by the Tagus River – the North has a more mountainous and greener landscape and the south is characterised by a hotter and dryer climate. The Archipelagos of the Azores and Madeira that lie in the Atlantic Ocean also belong to the Portuguese territories and both have sub-tropical climates.
The state of Portugal’s history dates back to the 12th century – it claims to be the oldest established country in Europe – and as such there are many historical sites, buildings and traditions that can be seen throughout the country.
Portugal more than equals its neighbour Spain in the excellence of tourism facilities and currently offers a very good selection of resorts, hotels, golf courses at competitive prices and, of course, the sun!
- Currency: Euro (€)
- Glass of Coca Cola: € 1 - € 1.50
- Bottle of Beer: € 1 - € 3
- Bottle of Wine: From € 6
- 3 Course meal: € 10 - € 20
- Time Difference is GMT: GMT (Irish time)
- Airports: Lisbon (LIS)
- Flight duration: Lisbon approx. 2h 30mins
- Transfer time: 30 minutes
- Languages: Portuguese. Many people speak English
- Climate: Mediterranean climate with long dry summers in the South, Mediterranean-Maritime climate in the North and Subtropical climate in the islands of Madeira and the Azores
- Voltage: 230V A/C, sockets outlets and sockets Type F 2 pin and Type C 2 pin are used
- Visa (Irish citizens): No
- Passport: EU citizens travelling to Portugal must have an up-to-date passport valid for travel three months beyond the date of return
- Vaccinations: Tetanus is recommended - please consult your GP.
- Opening hours: Normally the shops generally open Monday to Saturday between 9am to 1pm & 3pm to 6pm or 7pm. In most of the tourist areas, shops and supermarkets remain open until late
- These prices are given as a guide only.