As seen on Francis Brennan's Grand Tour of Vietnam!
On 9 July, Francis Brennan’s Vietnam Grand Tour aired on RTE1 at 20:30pm and will continue for the next 5 weeks. If you're interested in undertaking the same itinerary as Francis Brennan and his group, you'll find more information, here.
Please feel free to contact Jean for queries firstname.lastname@example.org
Vietnam is a country of contrasts offering a variety of unique travel experiences from its spectacular scenery and pristine sandy beaches, to historical and religious icons, pagodas and shrines. The tourism industry is advancing all the time in Vietnam, with top class hotels, new restaurants and reliable infrastructure developed in recent years. The strong and determined Vietnamese people will captivate you; service in Vietnam is delivered with pride, and the locals are warm, welcoming and proud to show you their homeland.
Ho Chi Minh is a fascinating city with numerous excellent day tours and excursions offering an insight into the history and culture of Vietnam. We particularly recommend trips to see the Mekong Delta and the renowned Cu Chi Tunnels, in addition the War Remnants Museum is a must-see.
Hoi An is a picturesque village with Japanese covered bridges, French colonial homes and a charming street scene. Famous for its excellent tailors and lovely beach, it is a great place to spend a few relaxing days, Enjoy excellent excursions to China Beach and the marble mountains, as well as the World Heritage protected Cham ruins at My Son.
Hanoi is a modern city with numerous top-class activities and excursions on offer. A showing of the famous Water-Puppet theatre is a must-do, along with a tour of the unique historical attractions of the city. Hanoi also provides easy access to the delights of Halong Bay and its 3000 islands and rocky outcrops.
Sapa in the country's North provides an unrivalled glimpse into tribal life in Southeast Asia and Southern China. Populated by ethnic Hmong, Dao, Kinh, Tay, Boi, Lu and other tribal groups, it is one of Vietnam's cooler locations with an elevation of 1,650m and temperatures can fall below freezing in the winter.
- Highlights of Vietnam: Discover the tribal villages and lush garden terraces of Sapa, the mystical beauty of Halong Bay, Hanoi’s Old Quarter which retains a charming traditional atmosphere, China Beach, My Son World Heritage Listed Cham Remains, the old town of Hoi An, deserted golden beaches, the unspoiled rural beauty of the Mekong Delta, the fascinating Cu Chi Tunnels which were used by Viet Cong guerrillas to live in and launch attacks from during the Vietnam War, stunning traditional art and craftwork and delicious traditional cuisine.
- Currency: Vietnamese Dong (VND)
- Glass of Coca Cola: €0.50 - €1.50
- Bottle of Beer: €1 - €1.50
- Bottle of Wine: €15
- 3 Course meal: €4- €12
- Time Difference is GMT: + 7 hours (no daylight saving time in 2012)
- Airports: Hanoi (Han) Saigon (SGN)
- Flight duration: 12 hours 20 minutes / 13 hours 40 minutes approximately
- Transfer time: 40 minutes / 50 minutes
- Languages: Vietnamese
- Climate: Varies from region to region. Mostly humid subtropical climate in the Northern regions and tropical savanna climate in the Southern regions
- Voltage: 220V A/C, sockets outlets and sockets type A are used in Southern Vietnam and type C are used in Northern Vietnam
- Visa (Irish citizens): Yes
- Passport: EU citizens travelling to Vietnam must have a valid up-to-date passport valid for travel three months beyond the date of return
- Vaccinations: Tetanus, Typhoid, Hepatitis, Polio, in some cases Malaria are recommended - please consult your GP
- These prices are given as a guide only.