Transport & Accommodation
- Direct flight from Dublin to Lourdes
- Transfer on arrival from the airport to your hotel with guide assistance
- 3 nights hotel accommodation in Lourdes
- 1 night hotel accommodation in Rocamadour
- 1 night hotel accommodation in Nevers
- 1 night hotel accommodation in Paris
- 1 night hotel accommodation in Lisieux
- Daily breakfast and evening meal served at hotels; lunch also included in Lourdes
- Transfer from your hotel to Paris airport for return flight
- Direct flight from Paris to Dublin
- Luxury air-conditioned coach for all transfers and tours
Tours & Religious Programme
- Full religious programme organised by Joe Walsh Tours and led by Spiritual Director
- Introductory tour of the Grotto Domain in Lourdes visiting the Grotto, Baths, Basilicas and the Stations of the Cross
- Guided walking tour of Lourdes visiting places associated with the life of St. Bernadette
- Visit to the monastic city in Rocamadour and the Church of the Black Madonna and the Miraculous Bell
- Guided visit to the Convent of St. Gildard in Nevers where you will attend a Mass with the opportunity to see the body of St. Bernadette and walk in her footsteps through the convent gardens
- Panoramic tour of Paris and its major attractions including the Eiffel Tower, the Arc de Triomphe, the Champs Elysees, the Louvre Museum and the Notre Dame Cathedral
- Visit to the Shrine of the Miraculous Medal at the headquarters of the Daughters of Charity in Paris, followed by the opportunity to see the body of St. Vincent de Paul at Maison-Mere
- Visit to places associated with St. Thérèse in Lisieux, including Les Buissonnetts and the Carmel Chapel, followed by a Mass in the Basilica of Sainte-Thérèse de Lisieux
- Full assistance of Joe Walsh Tours guides and representatives throughout the pilgrimage
- Day 1: 14th July 2020
Meet fellow pilgrims at Dublin Airport and check in for your direct flight to Lourdes. On arrival at Lourdes Airport you will be met by a Joe Walsh Tours representative and transferred by private coach to Lourdes where you will check into your hotel for 3 nights including dinner, breakfast and lunch each day.
The origins of the pilgrimages to Lourdes began when Bernadette Soubirous reported the first of 18 visions of Our Lady on 11 February 1858. Since then, Lourdes went from being a small village in the Pyrenees to becoming the largest Catholic pilgrimage destination in Europe. The Sanctuary of Our Lady of Lourdes, where the sacred grotto and the two Basilicas are located, embraces 22 places of worship and numerous facilities for the pilgrims and the sick, as well as the spring that began to flow from the spot dug by Bernadette on Our Lady’s instructions.
- Day 2 & 3: 15th - 16th July 2020
A full religious programme will be organised for your time in Lourdes. We will have the opportunity to take part in the Blessing of the Sick, the Blessed Sacrament and the Torchlight Processions. We will also enjoy fully guided tour visiting places associated with St. Bernadette, including the Boly Mills, Le Cachot, the Hospice, the Parish Church and the Cemetery. There is also a guided walking tour of the Grotto Domain visiting the Grotto, the Baths, the Basilicas and the Stations of the Cross.
- Day 4: 17th July 2020
Depart after breakfast to Rocamadour. Set amid a dramatic landscape and suspended majestically over the gorge of the river Alzou, this village has remained a place of faith and pilgrimage for over 900 years. In 1166, the miraculously preserved body of St. Amadour was discovered close to a little chapel, giving a new impetus to the pilgrimage and inspiring the daring construction of 7 churches and a monastery clinging to the cliff face just above the town. We visit the monastic city, attend a mass and visit the church of the Black Madonna and the Miraculous Bell near the tomb of St. Amadour. Continue to your hotel for check in and dinner.
- Day 5: 18th July 2020
Depart for Nevers after breakfast. In order to fulfil her desire for a religious life, Bernadette Soubirous joined the Sisters of Charity at St. Gilard in Nevers on 7 July 1866. She remained here for 13 years until she died on 16 April 1879, at the age of 35. Her body, which had been buried in the chapel garden, was discovered intact in 1909 and in 1925 it was transferred to rest in a shrine in the Chapel of St. Gilard, where it still rests today. We will attend a mass and visit the Convent of St. Gildard, see the body of St. Bernadette and walk in her footsteps through the convent gardens before continuing to our hotel for check in and dinner.
- Day 6: 19th July 2020
Depart for Paris after breakfast and enjoy a panoramic tour of its highlights including the Eiffel Tower, the Arc de Triomphe, the Champs Elysees, the Louvre Museum and the Notre Dame Cathedral. We then visit Rue de Bac, the Shrine of the Miraculous Medal and home to the headquarters of the Daughters of Charity, co-founded by St. Louise & St. Vincent de Paul. It was here that Our Lady appeared to Sr. Catherine Laboure on the night of 18 July 1830 and instructed Catherine on the design of the Miraculous Medal. The body of St. Vincent de Paul can be seen nearby in Rue de Sevres. He died on 27 September 1660 and was canonised by Pope Clement on 16 June 1737. Check into your hotel followed by dinner. Optional: Seine Cruise.
- Day 7: 20th July 2020
Following breakfast at the hotel, we drive to Lisieux. On arrival we have a Mass and visit places associated with St. Thérèse including Les Buissonnetts, the Carmel Chapel, the Museum and the Great Basilica. St. Thérèse was born in Alençon on 2 January 1873. Her family later moved to Lisieux where Thérèse spent her time meditating and praying in the Cathedral of Lisieux. Here she discovered her calling to save souls through prayer and sacrifice. At the age of 15, in 1888, she joined the Carmelites at Lisieux. In 1897, at the age of 24, St. Thérèse died of Tuberculosis. In 1899 France discovered the secret message of the young nun through her autobiography. She was canonised on 17 May 1925 and was proclaimed as the greatest saint of all times by Pope Pius X. Check into your hotel, followed by dinner.
- Day 8: 21st July 2020
We have free time in Lisieux until departure for Paris Airport for your direct flight to Dublin.
- Guided excursions from Lourdes (available to book locally; subject to minimum number of participants)
- Evening Cruise on the River Seine in Paris
- Price per person sharing twin/double rooms with private facilities
- Prices are inclusive of airline taxes and charges totalling €90 per person
- Travel insurance can be provided at an extra cost of €29 for persons up to 85 years; an additional insurance premium of €29 is charged to persons aged 86 to 94 years
- Passengers are entitled to check in one standard piece of luggage subject to airline’s conditions
- Single rooms are on request at a supplement from €40 per night
- Full assistance of Joe Walsh Tours representatives at airports is included
- A non-refundable deposit of €200 is required for booking
- A buy on board catering system is available on flights
- Itinerary may be subject to change; E&OE
- Licenced by the Commission for Aviation Regulation, TO 052 and TA 0689 in compliance with the Package Travel and Linked Travel Arrangement Package Regulation 2018